Kenya Diaries – Day 13 & 14

I don’t think I’ve had a moment yet to sit and just relax for more than a 30 minute time period. Friday and Saturday have whizzed past so quickly, and I am officially over the “hump” as I officially arrived two weeks ago today (Saturday) and leave in exactly two weeks.

On Thursday night, Ben mentioned that it is normal for people to not feel as happy as they did when they initially arrived and that once the excitement wears off on trips like this it is normal to get a bit upset. I listened to him speak and understood what he said, but I still have yet to find it true. Perhaps the excitement will wear off, but I’ve been having such a good time, meeting so many amazing people, and bonding really well with all of my peers. Food has been awesome, the learning curve has been sharp, and experiences have been once in a lifetime.

I woke up on Friday a bit earlier than usual, so I had time to drink all of my coffee and make myself a nice oat bowl for breakfast before heading out. VJ and Aggie were back, so we had the whole crew, and spirits were high. We taught revenues and expenses, which actually went a lot better than we thought it would, minus the teaching of costs of goods sold which was difficult for them to understand. We also implemented an optional after-class one-on-one session which the entire class was interested in, so that was nice. Colleen and Tom, the organizers of the trip, came in as I was teaching, and both gave me compliments on my teaching skills which was a nice cherry on top, especially after VJ had also told me that he could see my confidence increasing over the past two days.

That evening we went to Cedars, a Lebanese restaurant a short five-minute walk from our apartment. We ordered two sets of a seemingly infinite amount of food for eight people including hummus, falafel, chicken liver, and pita, it was some of the best food I’ve had in a long long time. Tom was leaving the next day, so we presented him a picture we had taken at the high commission with all of our signatures on it, and he gave us a speech on how proud he was of us, which was super sweet. It felt very family-style, and there was such a good atmosphere that evening, keeping to the theme of the last two weeks. After dinner, we head back to the apartment for pre-drinks, and then head out to Westlands again but this time in a big group of thirteen. We ended up going to three different clubs, the first more empty and high class, the second the same one we went to the previous night where we literally just danced until three in the morning, and then the third right by our apartments which was very local, and had amazing music but made me feel quite uncomfortable as we were the only white people there, so I suggested we leave and everyone agreed. Overall, a fab night.

Saturday morning started slow, Kait, Aggie (who slept over) and I woke up just before 11 am and leisurely made some healthy pancakes (eggs, banana, and oats) while listening to some tunes. Then I sorted out my courses for my final term of university and browsed the internet before we head to Fred’s house for lunch/dinner. We arrived in Kibera at 3 with our two Tuskers and a large appetite. His house was nice considering he lives in the biggest slum in East Africa, and his daughter was a gem. He had hired caterers who prepared a huge display of food on outside fire-pits and makeshift tables made out of wood. It was such a cool experience, and we met a lot of his family and nieces and nephews who were the cutest kids. We ate dinner inside to save getting bitten by mosquitos, and while we all sat with heavy eyelids and a full stomach, Ben and the kids sang songs of Jesus and love while he strummed his Ukelele. Today was the day I learned the feeling behind the word heartwarming.

Kait, Fred’s wife, provided us with takeaway goodie bags of chapati and mandazis which I will eat tomorrow for breakfast to save time as we have to be in the car by 5:30 am to visit the Nairobi National Park.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s